Safety always comes first in every activity. Accordingly, a number of rules and regulations must be observed when handling compressed gases and their containers. Handling includes all activities with gases in transportable compressed gas containers, in particular internal transport, storage, delivery, emptying and the actual use of the gases as well as maintenance and repair.
Compressed gas containers and gas supply systems are subject to the Pressure Equipment Directive (97/23/EC). This regulation has been mandatory throughout the EU since 30 May 2002. It is mandatory to implement safety instructions at regular intervals.
Ten rules for the handling of pressurized gas containers:
1. Perform the risk assessment and prepare an operating instruction
2. Prior to handling pressurized gas containers, the personnel should be instructed
3. Don’t throw and always secure pressurized gas containers against toppling
4. Transport only with valve protection approved for the purpose, protected from slipping or rolling around
5. Protect pressurized gas containers against dangerous heating (< 50 °C), avoid punctual heating from open flame or radiator
6. No refilling of gas in other pressurized gas containers, prevent backflow
7. Labelling should not be removed or damaged
8. Cylinder valves and pressure regulators must be kept free of oil and grease, operate gas supply systems only manually, when not in use close the cylinder valve
9. Withdraw gas only with appropriate pressure regulator, before connecting check seal
10. Don´t use damaged pressurized gas containers, but label them and inform the supplier
Individual Safety Trainings
Messer offers individual trainings at your facility to educate your employees in the following topics:
• Safe handling of gas cylinders
• Identification of gases, storage, internal transport
• Possible causes of accidents and their prevention
• Properties of Gases
• Correct handling of pressure regulators and gas supply systems
The aim of these trainings is to convey the users of our products the most important information on safe handling of gases based on practical experience.